Subscribe to me on YouTube

Tuesday 26 May 2009

Vans of the day 20!

ERIC ELMS x VANS PREVIEW
These are Crazy!!!
Last month in our Hypebeast Feature involving talented New York designer Eric Elms, he gave us a little preview into an upcoming project that involved Vans. The brand new shoe model which will drop in the next few months represents another medium tackled by Elms. A bit of his own personal commentary involving the shoe can be seen below as well.
When is your Vans shoe coming out?

It’s coming out in a couple months, I think. The design is all done, but I’ll probably do a couple things around that. I’m going to do a sculpture based on one of the graphics related to it. The shoe isn’t a pro model or anything, they said that I could do whatever I wanted, so it’s my own model.
How did you tackle that?
It was kind of tough. It’s a totally different way of thinking. You have to draw it flat but then work in 3-D. I got a sample back and it was like my drawing, but not exactly like what was in my head. Too much of a traditional skater shoe. Once I got that sample it was easier to make changes and glue things on and re-sketch. The sample was about 95% there. It’s coming out in three colors, one’s canvas, one’s suede and one is a mix of the two.
What did you go in to it wanting to make?
Something that was more me. More of a casual shoe than a skate shoe. I have a casual style, and maybe something a little weirder. It wouldn’t make sense for me to make a skater shoe because that’s not me. It’s going be at all skate accounts. It’s not going to be limited which I’m excited about.

No comments:


Archives